Skip to main content

17 Signs Of Mold Illness (And How To Tell If You’re At Risk)

17 Signs Of Mold Illness (And How To Tell If You’re At Risk)
What are molds and how can someone get it?
Moldy homes don’t just look ugly and unpleasant. These black and filament fungi can actually cause mold poisoning. Most people may not know how to recognize the characteristic moldy smell and they can actually fall sick because of the possible mold poisoning. Molds can harmfully affect your health. While you will experience many symptoms, you may not be able to cure it with the conventional medicine. Also, it is very difficult to diagnose the mold toxicity too. The reason is the similarity of the mold toxicity symptoms with the symptoms of a fly, fever conditions and common cold. Also, some symptoms are common in the case.

Molds are a type of fungi that grow in filaments and produce microscopic spores. These spores can fly away and infect an individual, so it is very important to keep the damp areas clean. Molds always grow in damp areas with humid places. Those can be in between tiles, inside your bathroom or even on your shower curtain. Sometimes, mold can grow in poorly ventilated bathrooms, kitchens, floors and even on the walls. Air system circulates molds easily everywhere in your house. Also, these microscopic mold spores can attach to your floors, furniture, books and carpet.

What can cause mold toxicity?
Mold poisoning is a type of biotoxin illness. The medical term of the illness is CIRS or the Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome. When a person gets infected with mold spores, his body will respond through an acute internal inflammation. This illness can cause several symptoms or just a few specific ones. The characteristic response of mold toxicity can be dramatically different for every individual. Many people when exposed to the mold spores are not able to make adequate antibody responses. This can be the reason of an illness cause due to mold toxicity.

While many of us don’t even get a single inflammatory symptom upon a contact to the mold spores, many people are disposed to mold illness due to various reasons.

16 Possible signs of mold toxicity:
•Muscle cramping, aches and pains, joint pain without inflammatory arthritis, persistent nerve pain, “ice pick” pain                                                                                                                                           • Brain fog, memory problems and losing focus
• Weakness, fatigue and body pain
• Numbness and burning in body parts
• Aches and pains in muscle, cramping and joint pain without rheumatoid arthritis
• The typical pain called “ice pick”
• Pounding headache
• Redness in eye, blurred vision and light sensitivity
• Persistent nerve pain
• Sinus problems, cold symptoms and cough
• Breathing problem, shortness of breath and air hunger
• Tremors and vertigo
• Abdominal pain, metallic taste, diarrhea, change in appetite and nausea
• Weight gain issues
• Night sweats and excessive thirst
• Increased urination
• Occasional static “shocks”
Why are people susceptible to mold diseases?
Those 24% of people have a certain immune response gene (HLA-DR), thus if you are among those who have mold susceptible genes, then you are likely to have an adverse reaction to mold when you are exposed to a sufficient quantity of mold. 95% of the mold illnesses occurs in this subgroup, but there are 2% of people who are susceptible to it, but with a “sticker quicker” variation of the genes. If you are not susceptible, your chances are lower, but are not zero.

Those people who are genetically susceptible to mold are not able to recognize s[ecific toxins as toxins, mold including, thus the mold (toxin) recirculates in their bodies, triggering inflammatory response. Most of them are unaware that they are genetically susceptible.

These illnesses are a serious issue. They do not belong to the group of allergies, but rather they represent a state of chronic inflammation which is caused when the immune system becomes out of whack. CIRS does not heal on its own. It will not abate, and will go on provoking illnesses unless it is properly treated. The illness is built upon DNA and when it is triggered once, the inflammatory response and the symptoms will last for years.

How to diagnose CIRS?
These are the criteria that have to be met in order to make a diagnosis of CIRS:

● Any signs, symptoms, or history of biotoxin exposure. If the case is mold toxicity, history has to include toxin-producing mold exposure, and in other cases like ciguatera or mycrocystin, history needs to involve exposure or lab evidence of exposure;

● Genetic predisposition to illnesses related to biotoxins based on the identification of an HLA susceptible haplotype;

● Any abnormalities that have been documented by the VCS testing;

● Biomakers that consist of neuroimmune, vascular, and endocrine abnormalities which characterize this disease. If there is a history of biotoxin exposure, a susceptible genotype, and an abnormal CVS test you will probably show lab abnormalities that are seen in CIRS.

We suggest you the following steps if you have issues with mold:

Step 1: Start learning about illnesses connected to mold. Try Dr. Shoemaker’s book.

Step 2: Make a test of mold at your home. ERMI is one of the best tests. You can hire a professional to do a visual inspection, or perform ERMI on your own for around $325. It is only helpful if it is positive. Better skip the testing, and hire a professional.

Step 3: Work with trained person at a clinic to do a test performed by Labcorp, panel # 167120.